Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why?

My good friend Sandra of InkySticks asks:

Hey! I came across this new blog the other night and am intrigued! It's very 19th century, maybe that's why, lol. What prompted you to start this 'poo-less experiment? I seem to have a confused and endless supply of shampoo since things just stop working for me; it's really annoying.

I had been debating for awhile because I had read and heard in several places that it was actually better for curly hair to use less shampoo because curly hair is naturally drier, but it squicked me for the same reasons it squicks most people - so I put it off.  But then I read this article, and that prompted further web searches, which ultimately prompted me to finally try it out.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm at a point right now where I'm ready to experiment again - I think using baking soda every day is a bit too much.  I think I'm going to make a trip out to Ulta and pick up DevaCurl No-Poo.  I've read lots of good reviews of that.

Of course, please leave any questions in the comments and I will gladly attempt to answer them, as an experimenter in the shampoo free universe.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay Kristen! I'm very impressed by your experiment and the fact that you've kept it up so long. I couldn't do it, my hair gets greasy after about a day and makes me feel itchy and gross and desperate for shampoo, especially in the summer. Using conditioner actually seems to make it worse, it gets greasy even quicker. I have very straight hair though, and my friends with curly hair have always seemed to be able to go longer without washing it.

    Good luck, hope you find something that works brilliantly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin!

    It's sometimes referred to as the "curly girl" method, largely because curly hair is drier and does need more moisture, which can and should come from your own body, rather than from a bottle. So far, I'm incredibly happy, if for no other reason than that my hair still looks good, and I don't have eczema anymore (see most recent post after this one).

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. My problem is that in this humidity-less climate, my naturally wavy hair is drier than normal, my scalp tries to keep up, but it just goes pftz! Oily scalp, dry ends that I need to stay on top of. Your venture is encouraging me to keep at it to find the right solution! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete